Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Enduring Images

One day in March of 2006 I had a wonderful experience, an experience I won't soon forget.

My best Mexican friend and I were on a very remote dirt road in the barrancas of Sonora, Mexico. We were looking for a person who could help us with our research on Pahkos (Indigenous ceremonies). The going was slow, more suitable for a 4x4. As we inched along, I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look and to my amazement and wonder, I was looking at a live Jaguar, about 100 yards away, apparently stalking an old, sick mule.

I attempted to get a photograph, but in the heat of the moment, I panicked and failed miserably to get the normal lens converted to a telephoto lens. Nonetheless, I cherish the mental image and think myself a very lucky man.

Above photo taken from web images, apologies to photographer because I forgot where I got it.

2 Comments:

Blogger akid said...

Glad to see you back with another post. This makes my peacock story seem pretty tame.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our school mascot is the jaguar. I did not know they were native to our continent. Sorry you missed the pic.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home